Rustic Apple Stuffing
Stuffing is not just for the holidays! Using apples and fresh herbs, this pairs perfectly with your choice of meat for any meal.
1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 large ribs of celery, diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups cubed, stale/dry bread of your choice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
In a large sauté pot or Dutch oven, cook the onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, apple, and garlic. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly tender. Remove from heat and add the butter and broth, stirring to melt the butter. Fold in the bread, sage, thyme, parsley, pecans and pepper until all the bread is moist. Taste and add salt as needed, depending on saltiness of the broth.
Cover and bake for 35 minutes in baking dish or Dutch oven. Remove cover after 35 minutes and bake 10 more minutes uncovered. Serve!