Chicken, Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
Made with fresh apples, sweet potatoes and chicken, this savory dish is perfect as a hearty breakfast or dinner!
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or your preferred cut), cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, grated or spiral sliced then cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 Granny smith apple, cored, grated or spiral sliced then cut into 1 inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less depending on desired taste
- 1/4 cup apple cider or apple sauce
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach or kale
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
In a large skillet, heat the cooking fat or oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add the chicken. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Stir and cook until browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the walnuts, sweet potato, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is fully cooked, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the apple and apple cider to deglaze the pan and mix all the ingredients together, cooking 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach or kale and cook for another minute or two, gently stirring to the wilt leaves. Drizzle a little apple cider vinegar and serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. This dish serves 4 as a hearty breakfast or perhaps dinner. This dish can also be served cold; spoon on a bed of fresh greens then drizzle with a little olive oil and a splash more apple cider vinegar.