< Back to Recipes
The best combination of savory and sweet meet in this southern delight. This onion cornbread offers fun presentation and superb taste – perfect for pairing with chili, soups, and dips!
- 2 NC sweet onions
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Slice onions into ¼ – ½ inch rings – be careful to keep all layers of the ring together.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Carefully arrange the sliced onions in a single layer, covering as much of the cooking surface as possible. Cut in sections to fill smaller spaces.
- Sauté onions on 1 side for 5-8 minutes, or until softened.
- In the meantime, mix all your dry corn bread ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients, mix well. Then add the corn, cheese and green onions and mix.
- Pour the batter over the sautéed onions in the skillet and spread evenly, transfer skillet to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to help separate the cornbread. Carefully invert cornbread cake onto serving platter.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!